Full Time Job
The ESPN-Tencent Associate Editor is an experienced digital media editor who line- and copy-edits features and news stories in both English and Mandarin. The associate editor will also read and vet Mandarin-language content -- to decide with the Senior Editor what content is best to feature on the Tencent digital platforms in China.
• Responsible for gathering, evaluating, interpreting and packaging news fairly, accurately and consistently across all ESPN entities for viewers, users and listeners
• Work independently and make timely decisions in an urgent manner with limited supervision
• Participate in compiling, prioritizing and highlighting key content for all platforms with some oversight
• Write and rewrite news stories from a variety of sources and for a variety of presentations
• Use sports knowledge and journalistic judgment to help determine the agenda, concepts and content of assigned sports news stories
• Creates, develops, organizes and edits content packages and assigned sports news stories
• Serve as main point of contact ''at night'' with domestic NBA desk on breaking news, game coverage and features
• Helps determine style, edits copy to meet established tone and theme requirements, enhances assigned content
• Work with Tencent editors on headlines, story translations (into Mandarin) and delivery of ESPN.com links
• Serve as main translator (into Mandarin) for high profile content originating from ESPN.com, ESPN the Magazine and original text pieces by ESPN China
• Serve as quality control monitor on Mandarin translations of ESPN conten
• tCompose nightly placement reports of ESPN content on Tencent digital platforms, as well as acquire traffic numbers from Tencent sports editors on bi-weekly basis.
• Has experience in journalism
• Fluency in both Mandarin and English. Ability to edit in both languages and communicate with teams in multiple languages
• Excels in deadline situations; has regularly demonstrated ability to produce high-quality content under significant time constraints
• A minimum of 2 years of experience in journalism
• Recognized ability as a content editor who functions primarily as an individual contributor
• Has mid-level knowledge of several technology platforms and editing software packages; readily applies new development
• Has ability to create and write compelling sports news stories; generates and executes story ideas from concept to execution
• Has working level of sports reporting and news packaging processes and the ability to gather, interpret and create assigned sports news stories
• Has a medium level of knowledge of real-time sports news production
• Has and applies a level of knowledge of what story ideas and concepts to use for assigned sports news stories, especially the NBA and soccer
• Strong communication/interpersonal skills
• Unparalleled knowledge of the China market
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related field, or its equivalent.
• Master's degree in Journalism or a related field.
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.