Full Time Job
Sports Analytics is a multidisciplinary group where all members have deep knowledge of sports, statistics, databases, programming logic and languages, and storytelling. Combining best-in-the-industry data with advanced mathematics and statistical modeling skills, Production Analytics has created storytelling tools and metrics that
have improved the evaluation of team and player performance, such as Total QBR and power ratings for college football, college basketball and soccer. These products make fans better informed and help keep ESPN at the cutting edge of sports statistical analysis.
The Analytics Specialist will be integrally involved in the formulation of these performance metrics. Candidates need to demonstrate competency in constructing algorithms and complex formulas that explore new areas of analytics, ideally in sports. But the role doesn't end with the numbers. He or she will be required to turn this information into language that allows integration into storytelling across all ESPN platforms, including TV and digital. The Analytics Specialist will tell stories in the most accurate way, using advanced analysis and matching the storytelling to the medium. Translating the complex into understandable language is a key component.
The Analytics Specialist will work in a team environment, and will have the skills to partner with other Analytics Specialists as well as Stats & Information staffers outside the Analytics Team. This includes giving peer feedback, leading meetings and training sessions, and mentoring Statistics and Information employees.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
• Demonstrated ability to regularly produce ideas on areas of opportunity within performance analytics for ESPN
• Meticulous attention to detail in striving for 100 percent accuracy
• The ability to thrive under deadlines
• The ability to work both independently on a project and as part of a team
• Strong technical skills and the ability to understand ESPN's data structure
• Demonstrated excellence working with multiple departments to achieve a common goal
• Strong verbal and presentation skills
• Use advanced mathematics and statistical modeling to formulate sports performance metrics
• Identify the key components in these complex formulas and turn them into language that allows them to be readily used in storytelling across ESPN platforms
• Educate other members of the Stats & Info Group, as well as other members of the Production department, on Production Analytics storytelling tools
• Collaborate with the Analytics Content Programmer and ESPN technology partners to write scripts, queries and basic code to transform data into automated metrics across our digital platforms and internal research tools
• Identify trends and react to news stories on a daily basis, using the new tools the Analytics Team develops, other products available to the Stats & Information team and tools available in the marketplace
• Analyze third-party statistics providers with an eye toward recommending potential deals, and collaborate with third-party vendors to produce metrics for ESPN
• Two years' experience with sports analytics, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the job
• Demonstrated ability to construct algorithms to explain or predict performance
• Demonstrated ability to use predictive modeling, statistics, trend analysis, and other data analysis techniques
• Ability to help develop data warehouses by identifying the appropriate categories and granularity of content
• A passion for sports and statistics; candidates need to have a working knowledge of players, teams and the rules of the games
• Full availability for this position, which will include nights, weekends and holidays
• Demonstrated ability to ensure accuracy of content
• Strong Microsoft Excel or Access skills
• Competency with demonstrated experience in a programming language such as R, PL/SQL, VBA, or Python
• A knowledge of sports statistical analysis in the marketplace
• Strong sports knowledge, both historical and current
• Statistics, engineering, advanced mathematics or econometrics degree
• Experience turning sports analytics into storylines
• Experience in digital and/or television sports production
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
• Graduate degree in quantitative discipline
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.