VP, Risk Management and Insurance
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the leader in global entertainment reaching 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For more than 30 years Discovery has been satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, and through the Discovery Digital Networks portfolio, including TestTube, Seeker and SourceFed. Discovery owns Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education.
We are seeking candidates for the position of VP, Risk Management and Insurance. This position can be located in Silver Spring, Maryland, New York City or Los Angeles.
Location - open to NYC, Los Angeles or Silver Spring, MD
The Vice President, Risk Management and Insurance will have two primary functions: overall responsibility for the company's corporate insurance program, and direct management of US production insurance program (while coordinating with and supporting international production insurance). Working with the various stakeholders across the firm, it will be the VP's responsibility to select brokers and carriers, advise on coverage limits and deductibles, ensure US productions are appropriately insured, improve and implement processes to ensure appropriate coverage of productions globally, and reduce the overall exposure of the company to known and unknown risks, all while driving efficiencies in the function. This person will also spread best practices for risk mitigation across the company, pro-actively identifying risks and offering solutions. The ideal candidate will have a background both in the specifics of production insurance, as well as overall corporate insurance products. The position is new to Discovery, so the ability to build a team and develop new relationships will also be crucial.
1. Oversight and management of worldwide D&O, EPL, Fiduciary, Property, Casualty, Cyber, etc. policies, including: selecting brokers/carriers, determining appropriate coverages, limits and deductibles, and managing of claims
2. Oversight and coordination of risk/insurance for all of the company's subsidiaries
3. Identify and analyze (and mitigate, if appropriate) risks throughout the organization, partnering with divisions/employees globally
4. Serve as primary liaison for all insurance related issues during acquisitions and divestitures
1. Select appropriate broker(s) for production-related insurance products
2. Oversight and management of worldwide E&O scheme covering more than 1,000 productions annually
3. Working with the show producers/PMD, ensure appropriate DICE policy in place for each US production
4. Coordinate with Discovery Networks International on production insurance for non-US productions, streamlining and improving the process where feasible
5. Consult with PMD during show development to identify and assess risks. Share best practices across shows for mitigating risks.
* 8-10+ years of progressive responsibility in insurance related areas, preferably within a global corporate setting
* Experience with production insurance is essential
* Appropriate level of education - must demonstrate through undergraduate/graduate degrees and/or certifications
* Demonstrated ability to drive efficiencies (both time and financial) within an organization
* Strong written and oral presentation skills
* Strong negotiating skills
* International experience highly preferred
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request.