Supervisor, Digital Content Services
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Responsible for the day to day supervision of the technical and administrative staff in the Digital Content Services areas during their assigned shift. Establish and provided guidance for departmental procedures. Troubleshoot equipment issues and engage Engineering staff when necessary. Assist with training for new employees in the operation of equipment and in Digital Content Services procedures. Provide daily hands-on support in all areas as needed.
1. Serve as primary point of contact for internal/external clients and staff during assigned shift.
2. Monitor internal systems for incoming media requests, including but not limited to standards conversion, file creation, content management and distribution
3. Negotiate, prioritize and manage client expectations for delivery timelines
4. Coordinate with internal and external Discovery clients to confirm specific technical requirements
5. Pro-actively and independently identify, troubleshoot and implement long term solutions when problems occur.
6. Write and enforce standard operating procedures. Write shift reports.
7. Analyze, plan and execute process changes in response to changing client and technical requirements, and to improve departmental throughput and efficiency.
8. Supervise direct reports which will include the following:
a. Communicating and delegating operational priorities.
b. Actively prioritizing operational workload and staff work assignments.
c. Coordinating and approving time off requests.
d. Conducting staff meetings.
e. Meeting with staff one on one regularly to discuss performance and provide yearly performance evaluations.
f. Encouraging open feedback from direct reports to contribute to operational efficiency.
g. Ensuring shift coverage.
h. Training new staff.
9. Perform other duties, as assigned.
About You- Minimum Requirements:
* 5 years experience in a professional broadcast or post production operation
* Must demonstrate knowledge of domestic and international broadcast standards as well as encoding/transcoding to industry standards.
* In-depth knowledge of post-production equipment and systems, and be familiar with professional tape decks, conversion equipment, routing and patch bay systems, and test and measurement devices.
* Candidate should have a technical management background and familiarity with supervising technical workers.
* Strong leadership and supervisory skills, comfort with teaching and instruction.
* Must have strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. Windows XP, Word, Excel and Lotus Notes experience a must.
* Must be able to prioritize workloads and handle multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines.
* Must maintain professional attitude, demeanor and relationship with DCI management, co-workers and staff at all times.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
About You- Preferred Requirements:
* Bachelor’s degree in Communication Arts or Radio/TV/Film preferred
* 2 to 3 years experience with various encoding processes, editing and signal routing in a broadcast/post production environment is highly desirable.
* Experience with Avid, Final Cut and Adobe Creative Suite
* Experience with media file transfer and sharing workflows
Discovery Communications is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.