Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
Accounting role within the Discovery Communications SG&A Accounting team. The Staff Accountant reports to the Manager SG&A Accounting and will be involved in monthly accounting processes. The candidate will reconcile and record journal entries to the balance sheet and P&L accounts, prepare account reconciliations and assist in the preparation of the monthly music rights payments. An integral part of the finance team in ensuring complete and accurate transactions and providing the supporting details of expenses.
1. Responsible for month-end close, including expense accruals, re-classes, balance sheet entries and account reconciliations.
2. Prepare appropriate analyses to support entries, including adequate documentation and approval prior to recording in SAP.
3. Assess and distribute preliminary cost center P&L’s to determine the need for accruals and re-classes based on forecast, budget and prior actuals.
4. Assist in the documentation of variances in the monthly cost center trend reports.
5. Assist in the preparation of the monthly music rights accruals and payments.
6. Provide customer support to corporate departments as needed on accounting/finance related matters and ensuring monthly expenses are accurate.
7. Prepare account reconciliations and perform analytical review of balance sheet accounts, and ensure timely investigation and resolution of reconciling balances.
8. Prepare documentation and support for the audit and SOX compliance processes.
9. Prepare analysis and supporting schedules to assist management in monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting.
10. Perform special projects and other duties as assigned by Management.
* Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
* CPA or currently pursuing a CPA license.
* Two to four years of accounting experience with general ledger and monthly close processes, preferably in a fast-paced environment.
* Prior public accounting or audit experience is desirable, but not required.
* Experience with SAP and Blackline a strong plus and preferred.
* Strong oral and written communication skills, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
* Strong MS Excel skills and proficiency with the use of accounting systems.
* Extremely detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
* A strong work ethic and ability to handle multiple tasks.
* Team player, able to be flexible and work well with others as a team player.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.