Sr. Manager - Publicity
Discovery CommunicationsNew York City, NY
Full Time Job
Manager of Publicity is responsible for developing and implementing program publicity campaigns for a number of Network series and specials as well as managing and implementing national and local market branding/communications initiatives. As the only New York based TLC Communications team member, the Manager must work closely with Communications Vice President and entire Communications team, and Network programming executives and staff, including the President & General Manager, executive producers, scheduling, and marketing & multiplatform staff to develop and implement publicity strategy. The Manager must collaborate with other internal departments, including Networks research, ad sales, affiliate sales, corporate communications and other Networks U.S. communications staff. Manager must also work closely with outside producers, agents, publicists and talent for Network programs.
1. Manage, oversee and/or execute multiple communications and program publicity campaigns, including development of press strategy.
2. Create and execute national and local brand publicity initiatives in conjunction with marketing, multiplatform, online, other networks departments and corporate communications.
3. Work with internal and external producers as well as talent to research program & topic for background materials development.
4. Coordinate media opportunities, and brief talent/executives for press interviews.
5. Write and edit press releases/materials, kits and creative, and manage the flow of this information to media including television critics, editors, writers, national/local broadcast and digital outlets.
6. Develop close working relationships with members of the press.
7. Pitch programming & talent to press, and follow up on media requests.
8. Manage and collaborate with outside public relations agencies, consultants, personal publicists, talent managers, & assistants as needed.
9. Anticipate and develop crisis communications strategy.
10. Organize and/or help organize press events, including press briefings, screenings, partnerships, media tours, media training, presentations for the twice-yearly Television Critics Association tour and screenings.
11. Create & edit digital clips for select programs as needed and serve as back up for team producer/editor.
12. Other duties as assigned by manager and senior team members.
* Six to eight years of hands-on media relations experience, with increasing levels of responsibility for campaign and people management.
* Six to eight years of progressive experience in handling executives and talent.
* Established ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
* Demonstrated experience with digital and social media execution and implementation.
* Superb written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential especially an ability to think creatively and generate new ideas.
* Must be an independent and strategic thinker who is a strong team player and willing to take responsibility for project oversight.
* Must be able to garner respect and trust from peers and professional colleagues.
* Must demonstrate an ability to cultivate and nurture relationships with members of the media.
* A broad knowledge of the television industry is a plus, preferably with previous program publicity or entertainment experience.
* Must have the legal right to work in the US