Discovery CommunicationsNew York City, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications is the world’s #1 pay TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories.
For 30 years Discovery has been dedicated to satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global television brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery controls Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks.
The publicist will support communications activities for Discovery Communications within the US Business Group of the Discovery Corporate Communications department.
The publicist reports to the Director, Corporate Communications and will be dedicated to driving awareness and positive press exposure for corporate initiatives as well as the ad sales, consumer products, business and legal affairs and studios groups. The position is based in New York City.
1. Support overall communications efforts for corporate initiatives as well as ad sales, consumer products, business and legal affairs and studios including compiling media reports, drafting materials, creating media lists and pitching
2. Manage editorial calendar by consistently exploring opportunities for increased press coverage, speaking opportunities and award submissions
3. Draft executive personnel announcements, bios, award submissions and press releases, editing and press pitching as needed and manage upkeep of executive bios
4. Maintain appropriate media lists, clips and coverage reports
5. Manage internal reporting tools including corporate and publicity highlights reports, corporate press clippings reports, and weekly reporting
6. Compile weekly corporate activities report distributed to top executives across the company
7. Help manage all logistical aspects of annual ad sales Upfront event, including press lists, invites, logistics and press materials
8. Staffs executives at various speaking engagements and cover press interviews
9. Support internal communications to ensure consistent employee awareness of for the business groups’ programs and initiatives including drafting stories, arranging profiles and updating department pages
10. Help write pitches and talking points for interviews and story placement
11. Consistently explore editorial opportunities for increased cable trade press coverage
12. Manage monthly meetings with internal communications team and support annual reporter events
* Bachelor's degree required (Communications, journalism or related field preferred)
* 2-4 years of hands-on communications and media relations experience in the media industry
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints and work on multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously
* Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential, as is an ability to think creatively and generate new ideas
* Experience with creating effective pitches and dealing with members of the press
* Strong attention to detail and responsiveness
* Must be an independent, strategic thinker who is a strong team player and willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary; ability to make judgment calls and offer expert guidance/recommendations to clients on communications efforts
* Ability to cultivate and sustain strong relationships internally and externally
* Flexibility to work across multiple time zones and languages
* Willingness to travel
* Legal right to work in the United States