Discovery CommunicationsNew York City, NY
Full Time Job
Essential member of the FP&A team supporting the Science Channel and Animal Planet networks. Reporting directly to the VP FP&A, this role will support the network teams to meet their financial objectives and to maximize the value of the portfolio, standardize metrics and reporting across the networks and share best practices.
1. Forge relationships with Network SMT and other operational groups supporting networks and be the Go-to finance lead for the SCI/APL networks.
2. Oversee program planning, investment commitments, film cash and tracking against budget for the networks. Evaluate financial implications of editorial decisions.
3. Create and utilize tools to perform return on investment for programming and new initiatives (i.e., social reloads, content investments)
4. Advise Finance & General Managers on financial performance of network and recommend strategies to ensure operating profit goals are met.
5. Support Business Affairs, Production Management and Executive Producer teams on financial matters during contract negotiations.
6. Develop Analytics around key metrics – CPH, Premier Hours, Investment & Cash and proactively drive Network to focus on CPH.
7. Develop tracking and reporting around content cash and proactively manage cash upfront by working with Production management and optimize cash utilization.
8. P&L accountability – Bring stakeholders together to analyze, report and communicate on performance. Have a holistic view of business risks/opps and impact on revenue.
9. Drive financial & operational decision-making by leveraging financial and operational systems like – FAD, BPC, SAP, Project Systems and Program Tracking to develop insightful reporting.
10. Run the month end close process, working with budget managers on accruals and re-classes and identifying variances to forecast budget and PY.
11. Develop strong working relationship with budget managers and work closely with them to forecast operating expenses - collect and model all relevant information, recommend cost-savings and process improvements.
12. Perform monthly financial results review and reporting, providing recommendations and feedback to the CFO on key variances.
13. Create the monthly management and reporting decks for senior management.
14. Support FP&A team in the annual budget process by working closely with department heads to prepare a “bottom-up” budget that aligns with the “top-down” strategic plan
* Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or Economics.
* MBA with concentration in Finance Management highly preferred.
* Min 4 years of experience in Finance and related functions.
* Experience with SAP, BPC, Business Intelligence preferred.
* Strong financial and analytical skills including experience creating complex financial models and efficiently communicating results.
* Ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple projects/deadlines
* Strong PC skills including MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint required.
* Must possess excellent people skills with a results-driven approach.
* Ability to meet stringent deadlines and work under pressure.
* Demonstrated self-starter, high integrity, team player.
* Strong organizational, communications and interpersonal skills required.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.