Manager - Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the leader in global entertainment reaching 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For more than 30 years Discovery has been satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, and through the Discovery Digital Networks portfolio, including TestTube, Seeker and SourceFed. Discovery owns Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Manager - Business & Legal Affairs to be located in our Silver Spring, Maryland headquarters or our Los Angeles, CA office.
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all legal matters related to the creation, acquisition, distribution and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by DCL's television and online networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company's many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of network matters such as production-related legal issues, insurance, and rights clearances.
This position can be based in Silver Spring, MD or Los Angeles, CA.
Discovery Communications, LLC seeks a bright, highly motivated individual to assist with business negotiations and draft programming, talent and other contracts for Discovery's networks, and provide production support including handling of clearances, releases, participant agreements and other related production matters.
1. Support deal negotiations for acquiring television programs, programming content, and other rights on an acquisition, co-production, and commission basis for various Discovery networks.
2. Draft development deals, production, co-production, talent, and acquisition agreements under manager supervision.
3. Analyze and summarize comments from opposing representation and propose solutions.
4. Draft claim summaries and letters, and administer title clearance process.
5. Administer and thoroughly coordinate the contract management process.
6. Manage talent option tracking database.
7. Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning production, broadcast clearance, and other issues as needed.
8. Establish and maintain strong relationships with Discovery's networks and other business units, Discovery's producers and their representatives, and talent.
9. Attend key industry programming markets and events, as needed.
* Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent experience required. J.D. not required.
* Minimum one to two years of in-depth negotiating experience, preferably within the cable, media, or entertainment industries.
* Legal writing, contract analysis, and negotiation skills required.
* Working knowledge of the television business and general entertainment industry and/or paralegal experience helpful.
* Strong working knowledge of all types of production, programming and talent deals desired.
* Must be results-oriented and able to close deals quickly.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, highly organized, and able to work under tight timelines.
* Must be self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
* Candidate must be able to handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to strict deadlines.
* Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to HR@discovery.com.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/9xrkwn58mg