Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. The Global Technology & Operations team, of which the Compression Engineer is a member, provides the technological infrastructure and operations to ensure that audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms.
The Compression Engineer will operate and monitor all facets of both primary and secondary compression and ancillary systems on a 24/7/365 operation. These include linear encoders, multiplexers and conditional access systems. Additionally, this position will maintain state of the art monitoring systems for the Transmission Operation Center, fiber distribution systems, ADHOC compression equipment and affiliate receive systems for Discovery services at both the DTTC facility and Discovery’s Disaster Recovery location. The Compression Engineer will execute standards and quality control check processes for all outbound Discovery services.
1. Implements, maintains, monitors and troubleshoots compression and encoding systems to maintain reliable transmissions.
2. Responds to equipment outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems.
3. Conducts diagnostic testing, repair and replacement activities for all compression sub systems.
4. Maintains required records of all equipment maintenance, repairs and replacements.
5. Recommends test equipment, system components, parts and related tools for use in maintenance and repair.
6. Performs and documents testing of new equipment and compression systems.
7. Maintains vendor relationships and escalates equipment performance and diagnostic issues requiring the attention of the vendor.
8. Creates and implements standard operating procedures and maintenance operational procedures
9. Receives work in the form of short-term assignments that require the application of independent judgment.
10. Receives some long-term project based assignments in direct support of capital projects
* 4-7 years of experience in MPEG encoding, decoding and transmission systems preferred.
* 4-7 years of experience with domestic and international television satellite compression and distribution systems preferred.
* Understands the signal flow of transmission systems, can read and produce system drawings.
* Expert knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technologies, encryption/authorization technology, baseband and IP transport along with specific experience on Arris DigiCipher II, Arris Modular, and Cisco PowerVu systems.
* Basic knowledge of architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems and their interaction with distribution equipment.
* Solid understanding of IP theory and operation in support of command and control as well as transport.
* Must be able to perform well in a high-pressure environment.
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required.
* Ability to work independently and provide weekly status reports submissions while maintaining daily communication with the management team.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Some periods of on call coverage are typically required outside of normally assigned work hours.
* This position is considered essential to support 365/24/7 distribution reliability of Discovery Communications services, and therefore overnights, weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts may be required.
* Must possess the legal right to work in the United States.