Head of Studio
Deluxe EntertainmentManhattan, NY
This was removed by the employer on 12/7/2016 5:35:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Post Production Category
Search for Head of Studio jobs in Manhattan-NY
Search all Head of Studio postings
Full Time Job
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc., is the leading provider of a broad range of entertainment industry services and technologies. Deluxe's Creative brands include Beast Editorial, Company
3, eFilm, Encore, Level 3, and Method Studios. With facilities in Los Angeles, New York, Austin, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans, New York City, London, and San Francisco, Deluxe's Creative Artists Group (DCAG or ''division'') businesses offer complete
film and digital solutions for production and post-production. Recent projects span across multiple media industries, including feature films, commercials, television, music videos and games.
We currently have an opening for a Head of Studio. This position will be located in New York City. The New York City facility provides VFX, Dailies, Conform and Color Correction servicing major producers of features and television programming for our Method
Studios and Company 3 companies.
The Head of Studio will be responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership for our New York City Studio, working closely with the Senior Management team of DCAG to achieve business goals across the companies represented in the facility. They
will focus on the formulation and execution of the business strategy for the location, including securing client satisfaction and building a high performing team. They will be responsible for the company's day-to-day operating activities, including resource
utilization, capacity management, capital needs, margin control and overall financial goal management. This position currently reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer of DCAG, but will have dotted line reporting to the leads of the businesses housed
within the facility.
Business Management and Planning:
- Engage with business leadership in represented companies (currently Method Studios and Company 3) to ensure effective location strategy is set in the context of the overall business.
- Work with sales, tech, finance, and the DCAG management team on strategic planning and annual budgeting exercises as well as provide insights on recurring financial forecasts and other ad hoc exercises.
- Regularly review labor and outside services forecasts and compare operating expense results against budget. Develop and implement. cost saving measures to improve margins.
- Monitor, control and determine all operational expenses of the Studio and maintain on-going annual budgets, capital expenditure plans, and staffing decisions. Serve as first line of approval for expenses and POs, rate increases, etc.
- Keep up to date with tax credit laws in New York. Facilitate documents to legal counsel to complete in house tax credits.
- Determine local production, artist and digital resource capacity, overseeing the forecast for the studio. Ensures appropriate utilization levels are maintained and anticipates potential challenges with staffing and resource availability across projects. Partners
with leadership to ensure appropriate utilization levels across all locations are maintained and all staffing and resource availability is balanced across projects and studios.
Client Relationship Development and Sales Support:
- Direct and manage teams and technical resources to meet client commitments as well as meet budget and other financial goals in line with business strategy.
- Ensure that the needs of all clients are constantly addressed monitored and improved.
- Create an environment that fosters creativity and professionalism between clients and employees.
- Provide a working environment at the Studio that supports successful, regular and open lines of communication in all directions of the organization. Lead monthly company meetings to keep the entire company up to speed with the latest news and allow them to
ask questions to feel connected to the local workforce as a whole.
- Keep teams focused on the core business strategies and mission of DCAG. Work with all departments and brands housed in the studio to create an environment of collaboration and technical excellence.
- Prepare and provide management presentations as well as ones tailored to client studios demonstrating cutting edge technology and workflow solutions.
- Provide DCAG and Business Leadership statuses on the state of the business in the location, including flagging items that need management attention and proving recommendations on areas for improvement.
Quality Control, Security, Technology and Operational Processes:
- Implement DCAG operational processes and maintain high standards of operational excellence, ensuring high quality work is delivered to our clients; including strict adherence to client security concerns.
- Continually look for ways to make workflows, company structure, and technology more efficient for the overall facility, always keeping in mind each business line when making improvements.
- Use company systems to monitor the business and enhance (and/or develop), implement and enforce policies and procedures to improve the overall operation, effectiveness and security of the company.
- Work with Deluxe Corporate Security to ensure that Deluxe security standards and practices are implemented within the facility, mitigating risks and protecting Deluxe and client assets.
- Ensure that the local engineering and technology teams are actively engaged with the Division and corporate teams in implementing, the changing needs of individual projects, workflow trends in the industry, as well as competitive offerings. Help to maintain
cutting edge technology Deluxe is famous for, work with Engineering and Deluxe organization on a worldwide level.
Facility Management, Organization and Staffing:
- Maintain clear location specific organizational structure, effective management team. Work with HR on on-going training, review and career advancement processes.
- Work with business leadership to help maintain high-level creative and operational talent, help negotiate talent contracts, and work with HR on the implementation of culture programs.
- Oversee and mentor production leadership responsible for the planning, throughput and delivery of projects. Responsible for the career development, performance evaluation, performance management, mentoring and implementation of succession planning for all
direct reports. Acts as escalation point for production, supervisors, and management to help resolve conflict.
- Work with Production, Operations, Vault, Client Services to streamline and strengthen scheduling, job management, inventory and asset management, and hospitality processes.
- Ensure facility repair and maintenance programs are proactively addressing needs of the businesses within the facility.
• 10 years of employment within the media/post industry.
• Strong understanding of the Post Production process, and/or Visual Effects.
• 5 years of experience as operational executive, developing financial plans and managing resources.
• Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to build and nurture relationships with clients and employees.
• Experience in formulating strategies, policies and procedures; Experienced at implementations conducted through a planned change management approach.
• Knowledge of contracting and negotiating with clients, vendors and employees.
• Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate and interact with all levels of the organization and to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.