Data Science Manager
BuzzfeedNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 2/3/2017 8:09:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Data Science Manager jobs in New York-NY
Search all Data Science Manager postings
Full Time Job
BuzzFeed is looking for an experienced manager to lead and grow a team of data scientists through BuzzFeed's next phase of growth. The right candidate for this role has a proven track record of solving problems, making data-driven decisions, and leading teams to do their best and most impactful work.
The person we are looking for is an experienced and proficient manager who embodies the way we want to work and collaborate. He or she is able to balance deep technical expertise with the knowledge that sometimes finding the right question to ask is the hardest part of a problem. We are looking for a person with tremendous curiosity and the follow through to drive themselves and their team to get to the bottom of important questions.
At BuzzFeed, data science teams are not silo-ed - they are a part of the functional area in which they operate, whether that is a technical area like consumer product or non-technical like editorial and video. As such, the right candidate for this position is ready to become a leader in multiple domains and will have a significant role in strategic roadmaps, scope, execution, and staffing.
• Provide accountability, goal-setting, and strong guidance for the data scientists on your team.
• Strengthen our relationship with other disciplines and departments through effective collaboration.
• Practice radical candor, giving direct and actionable feedback to the people you manage, as well as to the people you don't.
• Take part in recruiting, including reviewing, shaping, and evolving our process, training team members to interview effectively, and proactively engaging candidates.
• Develop KPIs and measures of success in a cross-platform world.
• Lead development of data tools, such as dashboards and A/B testing platforms.
• Scope appropriately pragmatic solutions to complex, unclear problems, with a focus on tractable approaches and actionable results.
• Communicate complex ideas in a clear, precise, yet accessible way to product, engineering, and editorial teams.
• 5 years of industry experience deriving insights from large datasets with appropriate statistical techniques.
• 2 years experience managing and mentoring data scientists of varied experience levels
• Experience with media or consumer facing tech a plus.
• Expertise in both relational and nonrelational databases.
• Proficiency with analysis tools like R or Pandas and at least one scripting language (preferably Python).
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1300 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun though a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence. As an employee, you'll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you'll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.