Social Media Producer
Big Ten NetworkChicago, IL
Full Time Job
The Big Ten Network (BTN) is searching for a Social Media Producer to join their team in Chicago. The position works closely with the Lead Digital Producer and Director of Digital Media as part a Digital Media team charged with creating and distributing TV and original digital content to Big Ten fans across multiple platforms. Specifically, this means following news developments around the Big Ten day and night, writing stories for BTN.com as well as editing other stories for BTN.com. The incumbent must have actual experience making news judgments as it requires helping maintain the headline flow across BTN.com and BTN2Go (main and school channels). This position offers the opportunity to cover major Big Ten events on site, including the Big Ten Football Championship, basketball tournaments, media days, as well as other initiatives. Working nights and weekends are a requirement of this position.
• Write and edit stories for BTN.com/BTN2Go - publish to Twitter and Facebook to drive users to consume more BTN content online and on the BTN2Go app
• Distribute other content (video) across digital platforms (social, BTN2Go, BTN.com)
• Work collaboratively with TV production and talent to create videos and stories to inform Big Ten fans and grow BTN's digital offerings
• Create new editorial ideas on the fly in the digital space
• Undergraduate degree, preferably in communications-related field
• One or more years of experience working in sports media is highly preferred
• Extensive knowledge of and interest in Big Ten sports
• Must possess superior written and verbal communication skills
• Thorough understanding of social media platforms, and familiarity with publishing tools including WordPress, SpredFast, and SnappyTV
• Real experience writing for a digital publisher on the following platforms is a must: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Responsible team player ready to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy digital operation
• Ability to create new editorial ideas on the fly in the digital space is mandatory
• The capability to create quality BTN content to maximize audiences is critical
A joint venture between the Big Ten Conference and Fox Networks, BTN is the first internationally distributed network dedicated to covering one of the premier collegiate conferences in the country. With more than 800 events, all in HD, the 24/7 network is the ultimate destination for Big Ten fans and alumni across the country, allowing them to see their favorite teams, regardless of where they live. BTN2Go is the 24/7 simulcast of BTN that delivers live and on-demand programming via the internet, smartphones and tablets to customers of participating video providers. Events include football, men's and women's basketball games; dozens of Big Ten Olympic sports and championship events; studio shows; and classic games.
The network televises and streams more Olympic sporting events and women's sports than has ever been aired on any other network. Original programming highlights activities and accomplishments of some of the nation's finest universities. The groundbreaking Student U initiative provides real-world experience for students interested in careers in sports television. The network is in more than 52 million homes across the United States and Canada, including carriage by all the major video distributors, such as DIRECTV, DISH, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-Verse, Charter Communications, Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Cox Communications, Mediacom, RCN, WOW!, Rogers Cable, Shaw and Shaw Direct (Canada) and approximately 300 additional video providers across North America. For additional information, go to www.BTN.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.