Counsel, Business And Legal Affairs
ASCAPNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Counsel for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (''ASCAP'') in the Business and Legal Affairs Department, working on a variety of complex transactions for various business areas. This position is expected to provide support for ASCAP's general corporate and operational legal matters. This position is based in New York City.
Areas of responsibility/accountability:
• Ability to cover a high volume of time sensitive assignments, prioritize matters based on business needs and drive deals to close.
• Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and advising on an extensive range of agreements including NDA's, consulting service agreements, engagement letters, membership agreements and marketing and promotion agreements.
• Provide technology and intellectual property law advice and counsel to internal clients.
• Explain complex legal issues in a manner that allows internal clients to manage business risks including as it relates to new products and services.
• Interest in learning the business and operations of ASCAP in order to provide counsel on ongoing legal matters.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally throughout ASCAP.
• Ability to analyze and synthesize information and suggest alternative resolution strategies.
• A common sense approach to decision-making.
• A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change and speed.
• J.D. with superior academic credentials preferred.
• Licensed and in good standing to practice law in New York State.
• Minimum of three years of relevant large law firm and/or in house experience required.
• Previous in-house counsel experience and/or knowledge of the entertainment/digital industry and related legal trends and business affairs practices is a plus.
• Qualified candidates should possess excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills and oral and written communication skills.