Director of Legal Affairs
A+E NetworksLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Business Affairs team in the Los Angeles office is looking for a Director of Legal Affairs to draft and negotiate agreements relating to the development, licensing, and/or production of scripted programming for all networks within the A E Networks portfolio including A E Studios. Specifically this position will:
• Draft and finalize a variety of production, co-productions, license, distribution, acquisition and development deals, including above-the-line talent agreements and rights agreements.
• Create and maintain form templates to be used interdepartmentally to insure all business and legal affairs documents remain consistent.
• Craft new language based upon novel provisions negotiated in each particular deal and respond to comments received from external counsel.
• Manage any and all legal issues, including labor, copyright, location, guild, talent, digital rights, insurance, risk, marketing, promotion and budgeting issues related to scripted programming.
• Maintain relationships with both internal and external clients, as well as counterparts at other studios and networks and with the many members of the representation community.
• Remain current with the latest industry trends and our competition's positions to insure we comport with industry standard and maintain strong negotiation leverage.
Qualification Requirements The qualified individual shall demonstrate:
• Extensive knowledge of entertainment law, entertainment transactions (in cable television/studio) and strong relationships within the industry.
• Impeccable skills as a draftsperson with the ability to compare and challenge precedent.
• An ability to defend, articulate and structure industry-specific definitions, e.g., backend definitions.
• The ability to reason, apply logic, make autonomous, common sense decisions and work with strict deadlines, heavy volume and all the while managing to make accurate legal assessments, be highly efficient and organized.
• A cooperative, team oriented approach with an easygoing personality and the ability to interact and persuade senior level staff and generate strong client satisfaction.
Educational Requirements 5 years' experience as an attorney (including some significant law firm work) with several years at a major network or studio.
#LI-POST Other Skills and Knowledge Qualified candidates must be members of the California and/or New York Bar(s), should possess excellent drafting and organizational skills and be polished and poised in communicating and presenting with and to executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community.